Stenton Church is situated near the eastern end of East Lothian in the east of Scotland.
Having successfully completed the recording of Prestonkirk and Whittingehame churchyards in the new parish of Traprain, the survey team set out, in 2004, to complete the recording of all the graveyards in the parish by undertaking a similar venture at Stenton.
In total, 352 monuments were recorded at Stenton, ranging from the earliest decipherable stone dating from 1675, up to the most recent ones erected in the new extension to the churchyard.
|Dated 1675, this is the oldest
stone discovered in the churchyard.
|Robert Robertson was only
9 months old when he died in 1724.
As with the earlier projects at Prestonkirk and Whittingehame, the comprehensive survey involved recording not just the monumental inscriptions, but also the details of each stone, its dimensions, materials, types of carving and condition, and each stone was photographed to complete the record. All of this information was entered into a computer database to form an electronic version of the record.
The booklet published at the completion of the survey is illustrated with a beautiful drawing of the church on the front cover and, inside, with photographs of some of the most interesting stones.
|An early stone decorated
with symbols of mortality.
|An 18th century stone commemorating
the deaths of four young Nilsen sisters.
The complete archive is held at the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (part of Historic Environment Scotland since October 2015).
An index of surnames contains links to the inscriptions referring to each surname recorded, while queries by Email for further details of the record will be answered as far as possible.
Follow this link if you would like to know where to find us.