Robert Noble, R. S. A. was born in Edinburgh and came to East Linton "for 2 weeks" and never left. He eventually took up residence at no. 2 Preston Road ("The Neuk"). He was the first captain of East Linton Golf Club in 1897 and was instrumental in the establishment of the Tyneside Curling Club. He was an elder in Prestonkirk Parish Church and the first President of the Society of Scottish Artists. William Balfour Noble joined the 8th Royal Scots immediately on the outbreak of war in 1914, and after serving in the ranks for some time, received a commission. He was later drafted to France and, attached to the 17th Royal Scots, saw considerable service. He was severely gassed in the spring offensive of 1918 and his health suffered as a result of the trying conditions of the war. His death followed as a direct result. His funeral was of a military character with the soldiers stationed in East Linton in attendance. The coffin was carried to the churchyard shoulder high by eight soldiers. After the coffin was lowered to the grave, a trumpeter from the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders sounded the "Last Post". Others in attendance included Major J Stirling, Major T. S. Glover and Lieutenant Macgregor, 8th Royal Scots and also Captain A. G. Spence, county adjutant, Haddingtonshire Volunteer Regiment.
Back to index of names
Back to Prestonkirk Burial Ground Survey